Monday, October 31, 2005

Open Air Preaching

A friend and I were walking on campus today, and we stopped in front of the Academic Building. There was a crowd gathering to listen to some guy talk, and we had time to spare. He turned out to be a Christian, and he was talking on the topic of evolution vs. creation. The fact that it's Halloween today made it a little awkward, since his hecklers were dressed a little strangely, to say the least. I actually enjoyed it. The guy had wonderful speaking skills and handled the hecklers well.

One thing that I couldn't help but notice was how rude and condescending the hecklers seemed. I'm not sure if by the very act of heckling it automatically makes you out to be that way, or if it was the fact that most of them probably were not Christians. I can't presume to make a judgment as to what some of their beliefs were. I don't believe they were Christians, since Christians wouldn't try to humiliate a Christian trying to do the will of God speaking what he believes to be true, even if they did disagree with him about creation.

Actually, he never really argued that creationism is true. All he was really arguing was that creation ought to at least be taught in school's alongside evolution. Which, when looking at the facts, it's hard to see how that would be a bad idea, regardless of your views on creation/evolution.

This Christian speaker stayed cool the whole time, didn't resort to ridiculing any one. He simply spoke his beliefs, gave some evidence for his position, and answered questions. He was ridiculed and made fun of by those opposing him. All of it made me laugh since there was no reason for people to be acting that way. It made me see how the Holy Spirit can truly sustain charity in a man in that situation. I hope I'm one day able to speak to others about God in the same way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home